He called out, "Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!"
Another translation says
Then, at the top of his voice, he cried out, "Jesus, son of David, take pity on me."
When he heard that it was Jesus of Nazareth, he began to shout, "Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!"
Few things about this Blind man Bartimaues
1. He is a beggar. He is poor and homeless.
2. He is blind. He needs physical healing
3. He is an outcast. He wears the cloak in those days to differentiate from other beggars i.e. he is blind.
But He has kept his ears sharp. His spiritual being is high. So when he knew Jesus Christ who heals lepers and rise dead is on his way to Jerusalem, He calls out to him for deliverance without hesitation. In fact, He gives a shout with all his might to Jesus to get his attention from the side of the road. He had people around him shushing him to be quiet.
Then many warned him to be quiet; but he cried out all the more, “Son of David, have mercy on me!”
You can see the urge of the Bartimaues in ignoring them by calling out all the more coz he didnt care about what the disciples/followers around Jesus has to say. He cared about what Savior has to say! He calls HIS name very well, he calls out Jesus name with his genealogy elaborate. He is a believer.
- An OUTCAST invited to HIS presence
- A Conversation with the LORD
- A Physical Healing
- A Spiritual encouragement!